Hello everyone. Kelli has graciously
allowed me to intervene and share a favorite recipe from my family: Fried
Chicken. So this really all started at work when co-workers were discussing the
best way to fry foods. So I know that there are thousands of ways to fry
chicken, but I love the way my daddy does it. A couple weeks ago we had a
Chicken Fry Party, and here are the pics and instructions for our masterpiece.
First of all, the ingredients:
chicken, Crisco shortening, flour, and a large cast-iron skillet ...
yep that's it.
Heat your cast-iron skillet with
heaping amounts of Crisco until it's melted
Pop 'em into the frying pan and let
them start frying up! The trick is to make sure that they have LOTS of flour on
them to stay coated. Add a little salt and pepper and make sure the temp on the
stovetop is still about medium to medium-high. There will be quite a bit of
sizzle. Have a fork ready and about 5 minutes into it, you'll probably
turn the chicken for the first time. This is what it looked like when I did:
Let the other side sizzle up
as well for a bit (3-5 minutes) and then you’ll keep flipping every few
minutes. Don’t stick a fork in the chicken to flip it (like in the pic above)
but scrape underneath the chicken to loosen up it up and then flip it as if you
were using a spatula. If you stick a fork in to turn it, it’s more likely that
the coating will fall off. This is a bonus of using a cast-iron skillet because
you don’t have to worry about scratching up your nice pans.
The next few pictures show the
progression of what the chicken will look like as you continue to fry and flip:
Then ta-da! You’re done!
No fried chicken is complete without
scrumptious sides to go with it. Dad and I used the scrapings from the chicken
to make gravy. Then we also cooked up some mashed potatoes, green beans, and
dinner rolls.
Oh, and I can’t forget … I washed it
all down with iced tea !
Ingredients:
1 can of cherry pie filling ( I use
Wilderness brand, you can use light or sugar free to make it less sweet)
1 box Jiffy white cake mix (it’s
kind of hard to find, but worth it … honestly, though, I’ve never tried it with
another brand)
½ stick of butter (or 4 Tablespoons)
½ cup slivered almonds
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and spray Pam
into an 8x8 pan. Are you ready for the ridiculously easy directions?!
Pour the can of cherries in first
along the bottom. Sprinkle the cake mix evenly on top. Melt the butter and then
pour it on top of the cake mix. Top with the slivered almonds.
Bake for 45-50 minutes until the
almonds are slightly browned. When you take it out it’ll look like this:
It’ll be gooey and delicious when you cut into it. For
leftovers you can refrigerate it or keep it covered on the counter. It’s good
hot or cold.
Well it’s been fun, and I hope you’ve enjoyed these
recipes from the Wilkes’ family!









No comments:
Post a Comment