In March, Nick's Gram went to her primary care physician due to severe stomach pain. He told her, without doing any diagnostic scans, that she had diverticulitis and gave her pain meds to take care of it. Well pain meds helped, but I'm her to tell you folks you can't cure diverticulitis with meds. So after she finished the meds the pain came back 10-fold. So that's when I started making calls to get her in to a specialist. Before we could make the appointment she was taken to the ER only to find out that she had a ruptured appendix with an abscess and her sodium levels were critically low. They transferred her from Claremore to Saint Francis to drain the abscess. She's been in the hospital all week and the family has taken turns sitting with her each day. She is improving so we are thankful. Now we are just hoping she gets to come home soon.
Dealing with this has stirred up a lot of memories, and not necessarily ones I care to think of. Sitting with Nick's Gram in the hospital made me think of my Gramma and when she started to get really bad. Mom, Lynn and I set up our schedules and put life on hold to help her every way we could and we did it without hesitation, argument or selfishness. There are moments with my Gramma that a grandchild probably should never have to see, but she was everything to me and I was going to be there for her. Most times when I think of Gramma its always the good things....her cookies, witty comments, making my lunch for work, playing Yahtzee late at night.... all pre-illness. There is one memory I have though when she was dying that I always think of and am so glad I had this moment with her. While lying in her hospital bed in her dining room I went and sat beside her and held her hand. We couldn't understand much of what she said at this point, but at this very moment she clearly squeezed my hand and said "I'm your Gramma", as if to assure me she was still there. I'm so glad I was there for that exact moment.
Needless to say it's been an emotional week. Like I said, Nick's Gram is doing very well and we spent the day with her yesterday. I was only there briefly because for most of the morning I was attending the "Happiest Run on the Planet" with some friends. Amanda, Raquel, Diane, Caleb and I participated in the Color Run! Very fun and very messy! I could not believe the number of people at this thing. We ran as much as we could, but with crowds and the fact that I'm out of shape, we definitely had to walk! So glad I went, the race came at a good time this week.
Clean and white before the race
A lil messy after the race!
Now that's color! (after the color toss)



glad you had a fun race! miss seeing your face! hope nick's grandma gets to come home soon. love you!
ReplyDelete