Sunday, March 17, 2013

Road Trip!

This is a story of a road trip taken 3 years ago in March 2010.  I think about this trip every year when St. Patty's Day rolls around.  So let me give a little background before the trip.  In December 2009 my Gramma Mettin passed away and my mom, Aunt Lynn and I spent several months going through her house and things, preparing to sell the home.  We worked really hard and I felt we needed a reward.  My mom and aunt have always wanted to go to Savannah, GA.  I really didn't have it on my top ten places to see, but I thought this would be an awesome thing to do.  ROAD TRIP!!
So I mapped out our route and planned the dates and hotels and off we went.  The plan was to take I-40 across the southern states, stay a few nights in Savannah then go north to Ashville, NC to see the Biltmore Mansion.
We left on our trip on March 16th.  We set out for the 16 hour drive with plans on stopping midway to sleep then take off the next day.  A few days prior to leaving I discovered that Savannah had the second largest St. Patty's day celebration in the nation.  Who knew?  So the drive was going smoothly and I asked the ladies if they were willing to keep going? Drive straight through the night and make it to Savannah on time to see this parade.  I am so glad they said yes!!! This parade was one of the craziest things I've ever seen and we had a blast! Green and beer everywhere.  The parade mainly consisted of rich Irish families and guys in kilts and bagpipes walking down the road, but it was awesome!!! The people watching was amazing and mom and Lynn found their outfit for next year!

                                     (I think the socks really make the outfit)



The following days we toured Savannah, ate at Paula Deen's restaurant (yum) and loved every minute.  I would go back to Savannah in a heartbeat.  If you haven't been, go!  After a few days we left for the Biltmore.  I spoiled the ladies by booking us a night in the Biltmore Hotel, which wasn't the mansion but it made you feel like you were wealthy and royal.  Mom and Lynn loved it!! When we first got to the hotel I stepped out of the room for a minute and when I came back they were already in their complimentary robes living the life of luxury!  Its hard to believe there are places like this, the views from this place are unbelievable.

                                    (hard to believe this was someones home)

I had to drag mom and Lynn away from the Biltmore, but it was time to get on the road.  We stopped in Nashville, TN and stayed at the Grand Old Opry (really fun hotel) and then made our way home.  This was the best trip, at the best time, that the three of us needed.  So glad to have this memory with these awesome ladies!!!

1 comment: